Works best in an ovenproof glass baking dish. Ceramic is a close second.
If using a disposable aluminum baking dish, it will bend under the weight of the batter unless it's supported underneath by something rigid such as a cookie sheet.
The ideal size dish for these proportions is 9" x 13". Serve with powdered sugar and lemon, honey and lime, cut fresh fruit, butter and syrup, or pie filling.
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Place a rack in the middle to upper-middle position. Be sure to allow room for the Dutch Baby to rise.
- Cut the butter into chunks and place in a 4-quart baking dish. Put the baking dish into the oven.
- As the butter heats, blend the eggs in a blender at high speed for 1 minute.
- Add the flour and milk and blend for another 30 seconds.
- When the butter is melted and very hot (starting to brown) remove the pan from the oven and pour in the batter.
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until puffy and browned on the edges.
- Serve immediately
Adjusting for Different Sizes
Source: Sunset Magazine January 1997