Chicken and Dumplings
Good emergency food if someone is unwell, but probably easier just to get Sopa de Lima delivered from Room Service Cozumel
Prepare the chicken and broth
- In a stockpot over high heat bring broth to a boil.
- Add chicken, cover, and turn off the heat.
- Let stand 15 minutes then remove chicken and allow to cool before shredding.
Prepare the dumplings
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the shortening until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the milk to form a smooth dough.
- Turn out onto floured counter and roll 1/8 inch or thinner. Cut into long strips.
- Return broth to a rapid boil.
- Break off 2-inch long pieces of dumpling into the rapidly-boiling broth. Reduce heat to barely simmering. Cover and simmer slowly until dumplings are tender, about 20 min.
- Salt and pepper to taste and add shredded chicken.